About Ocean Quest Pools
Ocean Quest Pools by Lew Akins has been selected by the readers of Wacoan Magazine as the 2011 "Best of Waco" pool builder.
It’s sometimes awkward for me to describe Ocean Quest Pools By Lew Akins, because it feels like I’m bragging. But these are the facts. I started in the pool business in San Diego in the late ‘70’s. In 1981, my then-employer (Neptune Pools) sent me to Texas. In 1984, the California headquarters abruptly went out of business, leaving many Austin-area homeowners with unfinished pools. I immediately founded Ocean Quest Pools in Austin, and finished every one of those unfinished Neptune pools.
Over the next fifteen years, our Ocean Quest team built and perfected the vanishing edge concept and the “natural pool“ concept, and many other innovative designs. In the twelve years from 1987 to 1998, we won well over one hundred industry awards.
In 1998, I was ready to move more into the consulting side of the business, so I sold the Austin business to my top designer and salesperson, Sandy Vollentine. I formed Ocean Quest Pools By Lew Akins in Belton Texas, and began teaching other pool builders how to build award-winning, breath-taking pools. Later that same year, the National Spa & Pool Institute (NSPI) awarded me with their first-ever “Hall Of Fame“ award.
Since that time, we’ve built close to 1000 beautiful, innovative and energy-efficient swimming pools - some "vanishing edge," some "perimeter overflow," some truly spectacular "backyard resorts," and many wonderful yet very budget-friendly backyard swimming pools. At last count, we’d won more than 60 additional awards, which puts my lifetime total well over 200.
In 2004 we gained the exclusive rights to carry the world-famous Jacuzzi hot tubs. some years later, we added Nordic hot tubs, and "swim spas" from Premium Leisure . We always carry multiple models on our showroom floor in Belton.
Our company and work has been praised in many magazines. And I wrote a column for Pool & Spa News for many years. You can check out some of those articles here.
I’m glad you decided to check out our website. To see our award-winning pools, and the many amazing features that are available with today’s pools, just check out our Gallery. Or get our free report and DVD. In addition to the various “backyard tours“ of our pools, it will give you some great advice about how to choose a pool builder. I hate to admit it, but there are some unscrupulous pool builders out there. And unfortunately, it's not that easy to tell the difference between high quality and “cut corners“ pool builders, unless you know what questions to ask. Our report and comparison checklist will give you that, and much more.
A swimming pool should bring you many years of care-free fun and enjoyment. No matter who you choose to build your new backyard dream, we want your pool-buying experience to be a good one. If we can help in any way, just give us a call at (254) 933-8370.
We look forward to serving you.
10 Reasons To Choose Ocean Quest Pools
Ocean Quest Pools By Lew Akins is unlike any other builder in Texas. Here are just a few reasons why:
- We’ve won so many design awards, they won’t all fit on one page. (We’ve won at least 187 industry awards, last time we counted.)
- We’re quite picky about the pools we build. We don’t build pools “on-the-cheap, because they’ll cost you more in the long-run. We figure if it’s not good enough for our backyard, it’s probably not good enough for yours either.
- We’re stingy with other people’s money. We’ve chosen energy-efficient pumps, lights and heaters for our pools, because a pool shouldn’t cost a lot to run.
- We’re not saying you’re lazy. But if you’re like us, you’d rather “enjoy your pool than “maintain it. That’s why we strive for highly-efficient, “self-maintaining pool designs and features.
- We’re not just “professionals. We’re “APSP Certified Building Professionals™, and have been for the last 13 years.
- We’re not just “experienced in Vanishing Edge. We actually teach the class. Three times a year, in fact, including at the Advanced Builder’s Program at the annual convention.
- It’s much harder to get into this Hall of Fame. The National Spa And Pool Industry (NSPI) inducted our founder Lew Akins in Feb. 2000.
- We’re close, no matter where you live. With locations in Belton, Killeen and Waco, we’ve got you covered all over Central Texas.
- Not afraid to “think outside the box. We figure “if everyone else is doing it, it’s time for us to try something new.
- A FREE DVD, yours for the asking. Give us a call, or go to our website, and we’ll send you or “Pool Ideas DVD, along with a helpful buyer’s guide: “15 Questions To Ask Any Pool Builder.
APSP – “The Association of Pool & Spa Professionals
The APSP is the world's largest international trade association representing the swimming pool, spa, hot tub and recreational water industries. APSP is the leading industry advocate promoting professional best practices through education, industry standards, and safety.
APSP members adhere to a code of ethics in business and technical practices and share a strong commitment to the safe, healthful, and enjoyable use of industry products.
The APSP effectively replaced another well-known industry organization known as “National Pool and Spa Institute or NSPI in 2006.
More information at: The Association of Pool & Spa Professionals
APSP Member Code of Ethics
All members of The Association of Pool & Spa Professionals agree to be dedicated to and to comply with the following ethical principles and policies:
- To contribute to the health, safety and welfare of the public in the design, manufacture, installation, maintenance and operation of swimming pools, spas and hot tubs by complying with all applicable laws, ordinances or regulations and refraining from engaging in fraudulent or deceptive acts or practices.
- To hold all necessary federal, state and local licenses, registrations and permits.
- To hold legally required liability insurance, workers’ compensation insurance, and bonding.
- To respect and not infringe upon the intellectual property rights of others and to refrain from using the property of others without their prior, written consent.
- To advertise products, services and prices truthfully and consistently with all federal, state and local advertising practices requirements.
- To establish prices in a manner that does not involve collusion with a competitor and to clearly communicate such prices to potential customers or clients prior to providing such products or services.
- To provide written sales agreements when such are requested by customers or required by law.
- To comply with the terms of all agreements, oral or written, regarding the provision of products or services.
- To respond to any consumer complaints made to any governmental authority, Better Business Bureau or equivalent nongovernmental authority.
- To exclude from company ownership or senior management any person or entity who or which, within the past three (3) years, has been convicted of or pleaded no contest (or its equivalent) to any felony or other crime involving business or financial practices.
- To use the APSP name, logo and other intellectual property only when and as permitted by APSP, and to cease all such use upon suspension from or termination of membership in APSP.
- To file a complaint with APSP regarding a potential violation of this Code of Ethics only when in possession of credible evidence of such potential violation.
- To cooperate fully with any APSP investigation of a potential violation of this Code of Ethics.
- To encourage utilization of APSP educational offerings as a means of enhancing the professional skills and business integrity of APSP members and their employees
BBB – “Better Business Bureau
An organization with local branches across the United States who act as an intermediary between consumers and businesses to resolve disputes and provide information on ethical business practices. Examples of services that they provide are Business Reliability Reports, Dispute Resolution, Truth-in-Advertising, Consumer and Business Education and Charity Review.
Businesses earning the right to be included in this organization have a strong reputation of taking care of their customers. More information at: Better Business Bureau
Carecraft is composed of pool/spa designers, builders, and accessory & supply retailers across the United States who have joined together to form a nationwide member-owned association. Only select industry professionals are invited to join, and all must pass rigorous standards of quality control, reputation, and customer relations, in addition to customer concern of each company.
Carecraft was created for consumers to ensure the highest quality in all aspects of pool design & construction. When you invest in a Carecraft member company, you are assured of the finest equipment and experienced workmanship, all at a price that is tailored to your budget and lifestyle.
More information at: CARECRAFT
CBP® - Certified Building Professional®
A Certified Building Professional® is an individual who has passed all the rigorous requirements of the APSP’s Certified Building Professional® training program. Graduates of the course learn the skills and value system pertaining to high ethical standards, commitment to the highest standards of workmanship and construction, business stability, and superior customer relations. After completion of the training, all graduates must complete continuing education requirements on an ongoing basis in order to maintain their CBP® certification.
HBA – “Home Builders Association (Central Texas)
The Central Texas Home Builders Association (CTHBA) is a 501 (c) 6 non-profit trade association representing all segments of the residential building industry. Its mission is to enhance its members’ ability to provide safe, affordable, quality housing to the citizens of the local communities. The Association does this by promoting positive public policy, providing industry information and education to the members and the public.
They also provide support and training, encouraging ethical behavior and professional standards, and making membership in the Association an essential element of a successful residential building industry company.
The CTHBA is a local chapter of the National Association of Homebuilders (NAHB) and the Texas Association of Homebuilders (TAB). Membership is comprised of over 350 companies across the Central Texas area with a workforce of over 8,000. The jurisdiction encompasses the Greater Fort Hood area, Killeen, Harker Heights, Nolanville, Copperas Cove, Kempner, Lampasas and Gatesville.
More information at: Home Builders Association
International Awards of Excellence
The Association of Pool & Spa Professionals (APSP) purchased the rights to the International Awards of Excellence competition, formerly called the Design Awards, from Swimming Pool Weekly publisher Robert Hoffman in 1969.
The competition is open only to APSP member builders, designers, and service and retail firms. Many hundreds of entries are submitted each year, representing member firms across the United States and around the world. More information at: International Awards of Excellence
ECOsmarte sanitizes your pool or spa without chemicals. Their planet friendly system costs less than $1 per month to operate and will save you money on your electrical bill from reduced filtration. Once you installed, you will have major savings by eliminating chemical expenses.
You will eliminate:
- Toxic chemicals
- Health hazards
- Offensive chemical odors
- Damage to our environment
- Damage to pool equipment
For spas and above ground pools the system uses copper ionization, which has a faster and longer kill rate than chlorine or bromine. Natural oxygen is delivered to your spa at a rate ten times greater than ozone whenever the pump runs. Copper only systems may be used for waterfalls, fountains, ponds and water displays. ECOsmarte
NSPI Hall of Fame
The National Spa And Pool Institute (now APSP) has, on rare occasion, inducted a few select individuals from the pool industry into their "Hall Of Fame." This recognition is reserved for people who have made a significant contribution to the industry at the local, state and/or national level, and/or in the field of pool safety or technology. We are proud to be one of those rare members of the NSPI Hall of Fame.
Top 50 Builders
Each year the Pool & Spa News magazine researches all the major pool and spa builders in North America based on criteria such as longevity, customer satisfaction, quality ratings, awards, etc. and compiles a list of the Top 50 Builders in the pool and spa industry. We are privileged and proud to be on this list of the Top 50 Builders.